Reading horoscopes and exercise could also put your handset at risk.
Fitness freaks, the tattooed, and those dumb enough to read horoscopes in this day and age are all among the most likely members of society to break their mobile phones, according to research from MobileInsurance.co.uk.
The study saw 2,983 UK adults asked if they had ever accidentally damaged their mobile phones, to which 68 per cent replied ‘yes’.
Respondents were then asked a number of questions about their habits and daily traits in order to determine what kind of behavior and characteristics might lead to an increased chance of damaging one’s phone.
The survey subsequently found that people who drank alcohol at the weekend were 36 per cent more likely to damage their phone than those who didn’t, while those who exercised every week were 45 per cent more likely to break their phone.
Meanwhile, those who eat takeaways on a weekly basis were 24 per cent more likely to accidentally damage their device.
Other findings from the research are as follows:
1. Those working in a desk-based job – 57 per cent more likely (to break their handset than those who hadn’t broken one)
2. Those with one or more tattoo – 49 per cent more likely
3. Those taking part in a weekly pub quiz – 12 per cent more likely
4. Those with one or more child – 32 per cent more likely
5. Those who sing in the shower – 5 per cent more likely
6. Those in relationships – 61 per cent more likely
7. Those with a driver’s license – 18 per cent more likely
8. Those with brown hair – 44 per cent more likely
9. Those that read their horoscope regularly – 28 per cent more likely
10. Those with a pet dog – 15 per cent more likely
Jason Brockman, director of MobileInsurance.co.uk, said: “Whilst we can’t explain why certain traits and behaviours make you more likely to experience accidental mobile phone damage, it seems that certain things just increase the likelihood of handset breaks!
“It baffles me that those in desk based jobs are more likely to break their handsets, because you’d always expect it to be the construction workers or delivery drivers that are always on the go. Clearly, if you want to reduce the risk of breaking your phone, you should avoid tattoos, horoscopes, having kids and relationships, it seems!”