Research shows that the top reason to buy virtual items is to make games look nicer.
Game developer Arkadium, which is best known for Mahjongg Dimensions, asked players about the items they are likely to purchase and the genre of games that are most likely to monetise.
Here are the key stats on why they purchase:
* 51% purchase to decorate and personalise
* 44% purchase to gain an edge
Stats on what players purchase:
* 46% of purchasers buy game upgrades
* 52% typically stay in the $0-$5 range for in-game purchases
Where do players purchase?
* 69% are purchasing in Sim or building games
* 79% spend in two or fewer games per month
When do players purchase?
* 67% of buyers wait more than a week before they are convinced to purchase in a Facebook game
* 49% of buyers report they are still playing all of the games in which they have purchased after six months
Here's an infographic wrapping up all the research report’s findings in cool graphical form.