Samsung looks to ship 510m handsets in 2013 | Mobile Devices | Mobile Entertainment

Samsung looks to ship 510m handsets in 2013

Samsung looks to ship 510m handsets in 2013
Daniel Gumble

by

Devices / Samsung / January 3rd 2013 at 10:50AM

Manufacturer targets shipment growth of 20 per cent for the new year.

Samsung has reportedly set a target of shipping 510 million handsets in 2013, representing a 20 per cent increase on its 2012 shipments.

Reports emerging from Korea say that Samsung is aiming to ship 390 million smartphones over the next 12 months, with the bulk belonging to the firm’s Galaxy range.

76 per cent of the 2013 target will be comprised of smartphones, while the remaining 24 per cent will be made up of feature phones, a Samsung supplier is thought to have told The Korean Times.

Furthermore, the reports suggests that Samsung is preparing to introduce a series of smartphones powered by the open source OS Tizen, with the company teaming up with Japanese mobile operator NTT Docomo to launch Tizen handsets in the country at some point in 2013.

In November 2012, Samsung revealed that its Galaxy S III smartphone had surpassed 30 million units just five months after its launch in May.

* Like what ME does? Make sure you sign up to our free daily news headline service by clicking here. You can also follow/like us on Twitter and Facebook.